Saturday, May 19, 2012

Prop Shop . . .

The World English Dictionary defines "serendipity" as "the faculty of making fortunate discoveries by accident "  It states further that the word was "coined by Horace Walpole, in 1754, from the Persian fairytale The Three Princes of Serendip, in which the heroes possess this gift." And all this time I thought it was made up by Jiminy Crickett . . .

But, English trivia aside, running into Richard Fick at Winn-Dixie that night was about as "serendipitous" as it gets.  I had just quit my job at the Hall of Fame (after only a week), and had no idea of where I was going to go, or what I was going to do next.  I think I gave him a ride back to the train, but I could be making that up.  I do remember the next morning, I went to the arena with Richard, and just walked in with all the other 1st year clowns, acting  like I belonged there just as much as they did . . .

Talk about luck!  I walk into the prop shop, and there's Harvey Copeland and Bill Ballantine all in a tizzy about how much there is to do and how little time there is to do it in.  They need stuff from the local hardware store, but they need to be at the arena and "hey! Bruce could go to the store . . ."

So they give me a list, and a blank purchase order, and off I go.  I found everything on the list, then copied the list onto the purchase order, completed the transaction and went back to the arena.  Later on I got complimented by the comptroller for being the only one from the clown department whose receipts actually matched what was requested on the purchase order . . . never told him that it was really the other way around.

By the end of the day, I had a job, and a motel room, courtesy of Bill Ballantine and RBB&BCSI. (Now there's an idea for a TV show . . .)  Oddly enough, I have no recollection at all of what was in the show, and I saw all or part of it probably more often than any other edition.  What I do remember is the frenzy of activity from early morning to late at night.  I believe it was the second year of whatever edition it might have been, and more than half of the clowns were from my recently graduated class.  What it felt like, more than anything else, was coming home.

I went to sleep happy that night . . .

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 24, 2012 9:13 AM
    Hi Bruce! My sister just forwarded a post you ent'd back in Feb (one of my nephew's found it thru Facebook and forwarded it to one of my niece's...) What touching memories you shared of my brother, Al, aka "Jazz"--you brought tears to my eyes--it was 44 years ago on Sunday, May 20th that my Dad rec'd that unwelcome knock on the front door w/the sad news of my brother's death. Since I trust that God doesn't make mistakes, and He knows the # of each of our days, I thank Him that my brother made a lasting impact on many lives. I was actually one of his little sisters (my brother was #10 of 14 children born to my parents--I was #13--and so glad my parents didn't "stop" after they had a boy--they had lost their first child at the age of 3yrs, so now there are an even dozen "girls" left. My Mom, although very weak, still has the breath of life at 98yrs of age--my Dad died in Mar 2001 at 89yrs. My eldest sis is 77 and the youngest is 52. Thank you so much for sharing some of your memories of my brother. May God bless you according to His riches in glory through Christ Jesus, my Lord! Alicia (Jasnocha) Cakley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alicia--
    Thank you for the above . . . Time goes by, and we forget lots of things. People come and go in our lives, and some we remember way more than others . . . like your brother. And I know that God doesn't make mistakes, that "his ways are higher than ours," but still, sometimes, I can't help but wonder what might have been . . .

    Your brother was/is a hero. In way more ways than one. Happy Memorial Day!
    God bless-- BTC

    ReplyDelete