Monday, February 6, 2017

Where do you go from here?

That was the most often asked question from people who came to see the show.  I've even asked that question of show people when I've gone to see shows, now that I'm not on the road any more. 

Where do you go from here?

The answer varied.

Sometimes it was a line from Meredith Wilson's "Music Man," to wit: " . . . wherever the people are as green as the money!"

Sometimes the answer was "I'm not sure.  Where are we now?"
If you could tell me where I was, I could probably tell you where we were going next.  Reason being it was easy to forget where you were.  After a while, fairgrounds and rodeo arenas start to look pretty much one like the other. 

Sometimes, especially on Circus Vargas, the answer was "I don't know.  I just follow the arrows . . ."
Circus Vargas was really great about the arrows.  They pointed the way from the driveway out of where you were to the driveway into wherever you were going.  You didn't really have to know where you were.  Or where you were going.  The only time it got dicey was in the early part of the year when the show played all over LA and surrounding metropoli.  Then you ran the risk of today's route overlapping last week's, or last month's, and if you didn't know where you were going, you could easily wind up somewhere that you'd already been, and no way of knowing how to get back onto the right set of arrows . . .

I only ever did that once. 

Then I learned to pay a little more attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment