Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Class 0f 1976 #3 . . .

I was cleaning out my garage yesterday, and I found this in a box I hadn't opened in years.  I threw most of the other stuff in it away . . . this is the key to my room at Villa Paradiso, one of the courts at Venice Villas, the motel that housed Clown College students for many years.  It's one of the very few things I have left from Clown College.  And I'm not even sure that I kept it in 1976, since I was back at the Villas in 1977 as bus driver, but in 77, I think my room was in the motel building, not in one of the Villas.   (Maybe my CC room-mate, David Carlyon could shed some light . . .   one could always ask)
The back of the key fob says"we recommend SMITTY'S Cocktail Lounge and Beef-Eaters Room-- Charcoal Broiled Steaks, Prime Ribs. US 41, at the lights . . ."  I guess there were so few traffic lights in Venice in 1976 that the reference was plain.  I don't remember Smitty's.  I think I wasn't drinking then, or eating a lot of red meat, so that I could hold my head up high in the presence of Mrs. Ballantine, who taught about the "Care and Feeding of Clowns."  Didn't have a lot of money, either . . .
This is David Carlyon, my Clown College room mate.  This is a link to his website. As you can see, if you click the link, he's gone on to great heights in theatre, publishing and academia . . . but he's really still a clown at heart.

Dave is the one in the polka-dotted hat.  The young lady is Ms Ruthie Chaddock, quite a clown in her own right, and also a CC grad, slightly earlier than Dave and me.  (This photo is from the 40th CC reunion at the Clown Hall of Fame in Baraboo, Wisconsin in 2008.)

 I didn't go.  I had to work.

So it goes . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment