Sunday, February 5, 2012

Cultural Influences (Flash Sideways . . .)

Cultural Influences-- These are sites I look at almost every day. 

All My Days Are Circus Days-- This is Jim Peterson's blog.  I never met him, but his blog is way entertaining -- lots of photos from the Circus World Museum in Baraboo, Wisconsin.  Clowns, wagons, performers, animals, "the Breakfast Club," sometimes wonderful and bizarre things to eat, but beware the occasional train photo . . .

Buckles Blog-- This is Buckles Woodcock's Circus History blog.  I met him at Circus World in 1976 when my Clown College class went there to learn how to ride elephants.  I rode Anna May.  Then I watched him perform from the wings in Venice on opening night in 1977. 

(I was working for Harvey Copeland in the Clown Prop Shop, my usefullness greatly dependant on who or what was rehearsing, decreasing to absolute zero once the show opened . . .)

There are others way more qualified than I'll ever be to talk about the merits of various and sundry things in circusdom.  That said, this follows- the act with Anna May, Barbara Woodcock and Benny Williams was truly the most amazing performance I had ever seen.

And the blog ain't bad, neither . . .

Circus "NoSpin Zone"-- This is Wade Burck's blog.  I was on Circus Vargas in 1981 when Wade was there with white tigers.  He has a unique, and I think, accurate, perspective on the current trend toward anthropomorphism in the animal rights kingdom.  I learned a lot about performing from watching Wade in the ring.  And I watched him a lot-- we were either right after the tigers, or right after what was right after the tigers while the cage was torn down.  Always worth reading . . .

Clown Alley.net--  This is Pat Cashin's blog.  I've never met him either, but Clown Alley.net is an awesome compilation of what's both current and historical in the world of clown.  He doesn't post everyday, but is always worth checking on . . .

International Clown Hall of Fame-- Directors Greg and Karen DeSanto-- just go there.

The Adventures of Steve and Ryan--  Takes you live on the road, into the show and in the backyard with John Ringling North II's Kelly Miller Circus.  Blogged by Steve Copeland, whom I've also never met, this is as close as it gets to actually being there, right now, this very minute.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment